How do we use textbooks? I found many responses to this
question in this section of Burke’s Illuminating
Text; however none as more clear than guided inquiry. It helps students retain information and note
key points and issues that circulate around a central theme. In no shape or form, I believe, should a
textbook become the center of instruction far too often when I was growing up I
noticed my teachers letting our texts drive the class. One word comes to mind…BORING. The real challenge in those classes wasn’t
the ridiculous 50 some question midterm and final but staying awake during the
class readings and the teachers tangents, whoof.
It seems the problems with textbooks are similar to the
internet except not nearly as big databases and with more guidance to
content. So really nothing like the
internet, ha. However the same strategies
and importance of reading critically are needed. One of the more interesting approaches to
reading textbooks was that of which Burke calls and “evaluator”. As an evaluator you ask questions on the
presentation of the information you read.
Asking questions like: What questions is this book not asking or answering?
What evidence is the author/s provide to support their observation? How can I best use this book in light of its
content form and/or function? To me this
approach seems incredibly empowering to the reader and develops a sense of
importance to thought and analysis. It
gives a student yet another way of feeling confident and comfortable within
their reading (a point I feel is important in achieving literacy).
It’s interesting that I have to remind myself of the
elaborate amount of choices the author/s and publisher/s make. Content, form, style and perspective are all
critical elements to developing a textbook.
Doesn’t this worry anybody else?
The amount of power the State education boards have on determining what
goes into a book in our school divisions.
I think this is something
students must also take into account when developing their critical reading
skills especially with textbooks. A
student should keep in mind the choices made in the creation of the books they read
and understand that these documents reflect the views of the era in which they
are made. Very powerful stuff.
As I write, I wonder all of these strategies are crucial for
students to read effectively, once a student knows how to read he/she will soon
(If not already) develop the daunting question of why they are reading. This is where we come in. Providing and active learning and teaching
environment, as stated above, is essential.
Whether through simulations, student written guidebooks, written reviews,
or even project designs these all develop rich means to learning and understanding. Arthur Applebee puts it best as
knowledge-in-action.
One thing I take from this section is that the content found
in reading textbooks is not learned through the books themselves. I feel students should understand that. I can’t help but think of Rosenblatt’s
reference to experience. From a teachers
stand point, such guided inquiries as I mentioned above should be based on the
concept that we learn through our experiences and encounters with strong ideas
(real ideas).
I hadn't really stopped to think the kind of power that the "state education board" has in the content that we receive in our education. I would think there should be some guidelines that they must follow in the creation of the textbooks, but it is a thought that creates intrigue.
ReplyDeleteI think Burke's point about kids as evaluators is important when it applies to standardized testing also. Kids need to know that tests are just texts created by people. They should also know the theory behind them also. But I'm not sure many teachers even know the theory behind them.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that til this day many teachers still use textbooks to run the class. I am working on my own goals in using technology more to teach students so I can keep them interested and step into "their world", this has been challenging!
ReplyDeleteOrlie, I enjoy that you begin each posting with a quote. It sets the tone for what you are addressing and in this post, three little words go a long way. Students should be a part of the conversation. Standards, the Common Core Standards, for the most part are not even written by educators, and I believe that the same goes for the testing and the textbooks.... its a business. And students and teachers are the customers. This may be a bit of a rant, but look at UNM and our on-line classes. I have yet to meet a single person that likes Blackboard Learn. It is not user friendly, its difficult to navigate and its not aesthetically pleasing. Why did we lose webCT... business. It wasn't for the students, it wasn't because it's a better system (we know thats not true), it was because Blackboard learn bought-out webCT and the contract with UNM. Like so many cluster-f**ks we see in education, the student is always left out of the equation. Curriculum should be a conversation with the folks involved.
ReplyDelete