Saturday, July 6, 2013

Reading Literature

“Classroom texts should pose intellectual challenges to young readers…these texts should be books that will make students stronger readers-and stronger people.” Carol Jago

In Rosenblatt’s article The Transactional Theory of Reading and Writing, he tries to illustrate how a reader should take all the choices, aspirations, and values out of literature and weave his/her own personal philosophy.  It is the job of the reader to see beyond the bounds of literary value with the works urged upon them,  they must also gain some approach to life, images of fate or assertion, or even certain kinds of experiences or modes of feeling; all of which holding rich value.  Literature, to me and what I’ve gained from articles like Rosenblatt’s, must be used as potentially subversive forces that invite serious encounters with the people we are and think we want to be, with the people we know and don’t.  It’s all about rich encounters and real experiences.

Coming back to Burke’s Illuminating Texts, he brings up a valid point of literature also encompassing many different things such as movies (videos), poems, and even art (images).  So with that and what was stated above in short I think we as teachers should help students transcend the boundaries imposed by pages or screens to allow for conversations to happen between authors, characters, teachers and students.  If that can only be achieved through simple exercises of improvisations or role playing so be it, but I’m sure we can easily come up with cohesive exercises to achieve this. 

Burke shows us in this portion that literature is another form of text that students must read and once again has many strategic elements that we must consider to refine, understand and apply to become “better readers”.  However I feel that literature can serve as a great tool to teaching the points of critically reading, because literature across the board (for the most part) is the most favored piece of text among young readers.  I think it easy to hold long discussions and visit different perspectives when analyzing this type of text. Don’t you think?  It’s easy to ask “So what does this text want us to talk about?” a question that can be taken in so many different directions and still be considered productive and valuable.   And because it is so easy to discuss it makes reducing complex literary text to essential elements much simpler and meaningful than that of the internet or textbooks.  It promotes what Burke repeats throughout this book, being “textual intelligence”, or the ability to critically read.

Of course to achieve these impactful conversation students must know elements like metaphors, tone, and language, but that is why literature, to me, serves as a great starting point to delving deeper into the essence of reading.   That makes discussing how stories work and what they are used for absolutely essential to developing their capacity as readers and also extending their understanding of what we teach.   It is here where I hope to achieve this one simple fact by Robert Scholes, “It is not what is covered that counts but what is learned.  It is not what students have been told that matters but what they remember and what they do.”

I forget sometimes to stand back and take a look at what I write, so please do not confuse what I say about “textual intelligence”,  I don’t think it’s only about being able to read different types of texts.  It has to be both reading and producing different types of text, but in terms of the book I am to discuss, such emphasis is placed upon the reading aspect of textual intelligence.  I believe that Burke figures to be able to write students must and should be exposed to a vast array of different texts in specific situations.   

No comments:

Post a Comment