Monday, July 1, 2013

Introduction P1

Hello All,

This is my BlogSpot. This is my first time working with blogging and I'm curious to see where it takes me in terms of the literature I've chosen and of course personal reflection.  I'm enjoying the idea of using blogger because in all of my favorite rap albums, one or another references to each artists "BlogSpot.com" is interjected into their verses.  So without further adieu:

About myself, I'm getting my masters in Art Education with licensure in K-12.  I have no teaching experience, however I have worked with children since I was a child.   As a mentor for our youth soccer program in Las Cruces, New Mexico I got my first taste of providing a guiding hand to mentees at the age of 15.  I continued coaching when I moved up to Albuquerque for college, and currently coach 4 teams at a competitive level.  I have multiple teams who travel the states competing and I've guided multiple players to continue at the collegiate level (Including 3 at UNM).  So through soccer I found an avenue to pursue helping youth and have had a growing urge to expand on my experiences and learnings. I've also volunteered at numerous community centers in Albuquerque mainly focusing on Spanish speaking communities since I myself am a first generation United States citizen.  I am in the final year of my degree and look forward to applying what I've learned in the past 2 years to whatever path I chose to pursue.

For the course I've chosen Illuminating Texts by Jim Burke.  The sub text grabbed my attention, "How to teach students to read the world".  In my coaching and mentoring philosophy I always aim to teach individuals how to become working members in our society and give them the best chances to succeed.  As I've stated above this is my first blogging experience so until next time.   

2 comments:

  1. Great Intro blog Orlie! I'm glad your still around.. for a bit their, I thought you disappeared. I did not know you coached four competitive teams.Thats awesome and a lot of work. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your intro and look forward to learning more about this book from you. This has also been my first experience with blogging, and so far it has been a good one. I like the idea that we teach our students to learn more than simply how to read. It is very important that we show them how to be critical of the information that they expose themselvs to.

    ReplyDelete